This is the 40th year anniversary of National Nutrition Month. Registered dietitian always plays a critical role in helping people eat right, their way, every day. This month is the start of national nutrition month and it is the start of a new theme which is “Eat Right, Your Way, Every Day,”. This year’s theme encourages everyone to personalized their healthy eating styles and to recognize that food preferences, lifestyle, cultural and ethnic traditions and health concerns that have all impact individual food choices. Eating healthy is important and you can eat healthy your way but you need to know how you can do this. Here are 5 tips you can use to start eating healthy your way.
- Consume plant foods that are high in fiber, especially soluble fiber. Soluble fiber is found in legumes, fruits and root vegetables, as well as oats, barley and flax.
- Eat 6 to 8 small meals daily instead of 1 to 2 large ones.
- Try to base most of your meals on beans, vegetables, fruits and whole grains, with a minimum of lean animal protein.
- Accumulate 30 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity on most days of the week. Try to walk at least 2-3 miles per day at least 5-6 days per week.
- Limit the amount of saturated fat you consume from dairy products, red meat, and tropical oils.
So today what are you going to decide what way to eat healthy ? For further information on National Nutrition Month – click here.